Tuesday 16 August 2011

Weekend Update 13/08/11

I have now started to put up the backscenes and have placed an order for the rest of the backscenes, due to be delivered sometime early next week. Also arriving (arrived) this week is two SMD LED ropes, as a test. If you look below you'll see why the test was a success:

A close up of the lower peninsula backboard - those holes will be sanded/filled before painting, as well as the installation of some small beading to affix the LED's to.

A better view not showing the LED's, which the Fascia will eventually perform.

So now its time to order another 8 LED ropes (5 metres per rope) at $20 each, and they will all be connected to a single 5A transformer. I plan on also buying a remote-controlled switch so when the garage opens, I can use the remote to switch the lights on without making my way down the back of the layout in the dark.

I'm still deciding on buying a rake of these as well:

A reefer train is exactly why there is a loop around the yard, to store this train... decisions decisions!

Next weekend I'll be away, so the week after I'll be ordering up to catch up to start track laying by October...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with that I think they are all presold, by the way where did you order the LED's from?
    I have already purchased two strings of party lights but it is not too late to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, yeah I think your right there, InternetTrains.com still have them as preorderable but Craig is doing another run early next year so I'll build the layout first so they have something to run on :)

    I bought those LED lights from a company on ebay called 'hkesupplier' (sellers name)

    They have an ebay store, the LED model I bought was the 3528 SMD WarmWhite waterproof strip light. it has a sticky back for affixing to boards/etc, and you can cut it at certain intervals (good for around corners)

    $20.00 for a 5m roll, and free postage - they use ~2A per 5 metres (not 0.4 as i originally posted) so I'll actually need 5 transformers (I already have two) - they sell them on their website too.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete