Tuesday 13 September 2011

Weekend Update 10/09/11

After a slight delay over the weekend, I have managed to finish early this week what I wanted to finish on the weekend - the lower level roadbed:



Left Hand Side ("Spencer")

Future Site of Staging

The Peninsula, with Theta Loop and the Branch line with the 2% grade towards Theta down the rear of the peninsula - since this picture was taken the spline has been laid properly for the branch

I have decided to change my construction timeline by not laying the upper level roadbed until both helixes are installed - this is mainly for two reasons:

1. The roadbed will need to attach to the helix in some way on the upper level, and it has to swing off the helix to do this. Rather than lay the spline and then need to re-lay it later, I've decided to hold off second level roadbed progress. Compared to the first level it is a lot simpler, as the spline will be single track.

2. The two helixes are prefab kits to ensure reliability, as I don't trust myself to make a reliable helix with a steady grade and curvature. To save any headaches later on, I'm going with a kit with a ~19" rise between the two levels, which is ample.

With this change I've decided to move up the track laying and roadbed stage for the lower level, so I can lay track for the lower level and helix before starting the upper level. I may not lay the track, incase I need to make minor adjustments - but I'd like to make a start on the roadbed at least.

You may notice in a couple of photos that as I began to put the spline onto risers, I lowered the loop line around the peninsula. Rather than using double layers of cork, I've opted for this solution instead - luckily as well the wood involved in the other parts of the roadbed is a couple of millimetres lower than the spline, which should give a good indication of main and secondary lines.

Thats it for now, pics are below...


Left hand side, not sitting on risers


What I started with, before installing the risers and other parts of the roadbed


A view looking down the Theta branch towards the peninsula


Here the Theta Branch Leads into East Theta


A view showing the grade difference of the branch and mainline. Also note the slight change in height between main and loop lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment